What a hopeless existence this would be if there were no God.
As one who struggled with depression and even toyed with suicide, ultimately I knew from my childhood teachings that there was potentially hope that could be found in the Creator—if I could reach Him.
It was years later, in the blackest darkness, that I called out to Him. As if part of a horror film, I envisioned myself taking a butcher knife across my carotid artery. I knew that if He didn’t intervene, I wouldn’t survive the weekend. In my sinful, hopeless, wandering state, Jesus intervened and, with gentleness and love, He guided me out of that mental state.
Experiencing His love when I didn’t deserve His attention convinced me that Jesus TRULY loves me—which means Jesus TRULY loves you, too!
For those who are struggling with depression, suicidal thoughts, or self-destructive behavior in attempts to numb the inner turmoil, please take note:
- Jesus is the answer!
- He is the One you’re looking for.
- He is the fulfillment you’re seeking.
- He is the only One who can speak calm to the storms of your mind—and they obey.
Whether you are a follower of Christ or not, call out to Him! He is always listening with compassion.
- Psalm 147:3 – He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
- Psalm 55:22 – Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.
- Psalm 62:5 – Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
- Ecclesiastes 9:4 – Anyone who is among the living has hope.
- Psalms 9:9 – The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
- Psalm 31:22,24 – You heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help… Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.
- Psalm 34:18, 19 – The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. (19) A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all.