We live in an age of time-stealing distractions, compromised morals and pressures to conform to an ungodly culture. Now more than ever, we must commit ourselves to study the Bible.
Why it Matters:
It is the Word of God that reveals the TRUTH about who we are in Christ; it transforms the mind and heart; it is the weapon–the sword of the Spirit–that no enemy can stand against.
Alternatively, there is an evident danger that comes from Christians not knowing God’s perspective and promises. Hosea 4:6 says, “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge…”
- If a person doesn’t know they are free (Gal 5:1), they will live as if they are bound
- If a person doesn’t know that God empowers them with grace (2 Cor 12:9), they’ll believe they “can’t take any more”
- If a person doesn’t know that they are complete in Christ (Col 2:10), they may believe they are damaged goods
We must be intentional in researching the Word to discover who God says we are and the promises we have in Him.
How to Discover God’s Perspective:
- Study the Bible
- You can simply start reading or start with a topic that’s relevant to your life
- Find the scriptures and/or promises that stand out
- Some find it helpful to take notes or write them on an index card
- Meditate on them by repeating them in your heart and applying it to your circumstance
- Treat it like medicine–taking it in multiple times per day
- Continue this process
Remember, the Holy Spirit is our Helper. Ask and He will help you study, understand and even recall the Word when it’s needed.
- Hebrews 4:12
- 2 Corinthians 10:4
- Matthew 4:4
- Hosea 4:6
- Psalm 119:105